Black streaks on your home’s roof can cause your home exterior’s appearance to decline, and prompt you to find viable solutions to resolve the issue. What is the makeup of the ugly black streaks on your roof? It’s black algae, and it’s growing and making itself at home atop your biggest investment. It’s a nuisance, and you need to find solutions to not only stop its growth but also prevent it from regrowing in the future.
At Home Pro America, we understand the frustrations that come along with unsightly roof damage from black algae. If you want to love your home again, contact us. We can walk you through the selection process of getting a new roof, and simplify the process. We’ll earn your trust with our interior and exterior remodeling that’s built to last. Find out why homeowners make us their roofing contractor—not just for one project, but for life!
What are the black streaks on my home’s roof?
The unattractive black marks on your home’s roof are black algae, and the problem is common for homeowners with asphalt roof shingles. This stubborn difficulty requires intentional solutions to fix it and keep it at bay. Asphalt shingles offer the ideal place for algae to grow and spread. And trees that cause shade on your roof add to the problem. You’ll notice black algae primarily on the areas of your roof that see the least amount of sunlight. That’s why towering trees that shade your roof are not good for it.
Algae spores are carried through the air from roof to roof, so if your neighbor has black algae problems, you may too. It could just be a matter of time…unless you find a new shingle that is algae resistant. There are some great solutions to this problem that are necessary to implement so you can best care for your home—your largest investment.
Is the unsightly algae harmful to shingles?
Absolutely! Algae takes nutrients from fillers such as asphalt shingles. The increased use of moisture-attracting calcium carbonate fillers can make asphalt shingles retain moisture for longer periods of time, and that sets the stage for algae growth. If you ignore the algae growth for too long, it can build up, prematurely age and speed up the decline of your asphalt shingles.
What not to do to fix your black algae problem
- What you don’t want to do is try to power wash your roof. Power washing will damage your shingles and add to your problem.
- Although there is a bleach and water remedy that can attack the algae and get it off your shingles, that comes with a pretty steep price: you’ve got to get onto and off your roof safely, and then coordinate the washing of your roof—and that’s not easy, and possibly not safe. It’s best to leave climbing on the roof to experienced professionals with proper training.
What should I do to remedy the black streaks on my home’s roof?
- Trim your large trees back so they no longer shade your roof. When you trim your trees back, you decrease the possibility of further algae growth.
- Replace your roof with shingles that resist black algae growth. This is the best solution to your unsightly algae problems.
What type of shingles are resistant to algae growth?
Atlas shingles resist algae. Atlas Roofing Corporation has a Pristine Architectural Shingle Line featuring Scotchgard Protector. It’s the single most effective algae solution on the market. This shingle line features pristine colors and class 4 impact resistant shingles. They add a significant amount of copper granules to their shingles to resist algae.
Why algae resistant shingles by Atlas?
- Copper stops algae, and although other shingle lines have some copper in them, it’s not enough to make the shingle truly algae resistant. Atlas manufactures shingles with so much copper coverage, algae can’t grow on them.
- Significant amount of copper granules are spread to cover the surface of the shingles and prevent black algae growth.
- The third-party testing ensures their performance.
- The color of shingles you choose is the color you get to keep for years to come. Enjoy lasting beauty in your new roof with protection against unsightly algae growth.
- Customize your shingle color to match your home’s style. The pristine color palette you select from will make you smile.
- The Atlas Shingles come with a lifetime algae warranty, and they are the only manufacturer that has a lifetime algae warranty. They teamed up with 3M’s
- Scotchgard and offer lifetime protection against unsightly algae streaks and stains.
- Protect and preserve the natural beauty of your new roof with the power of Scotchgard Protector.
Get a beautiful roof replacement to protect your home and increase its value
The condition of your roof impacts your home. From the curb appeal to the utility costs, your roof’s condition has a ripple effect on your home’s value and integrity.
Here’s what people love about Home Pro America for their roofing needs:
- Trustworthy—Our reputation and results speak for themselves. Take a look at what others are saying, and see our gallery.
- Licensed and insured roofing contractor—We care about protecting you and our team. We carry extensive insurance that gives homeowners peace of mind.
- Solid communication with homeowners—Enjoy open, straightforward communication from our team.
- Experienced at insurance issues—Get a thorough report to streamline the insurance process.
- Skilled roofers offer exemplary roofing replacement—We do installations right the first time from start to finish.
- Stress-free roof replacement—Get the roof you need, and enjoy the process. Relish a secure, well-protected home.
Your home should look beautiful. Get the curb appeal you’ll love coming home to again. If you’re having trouble with black algae issues, Home Pro America can help. We’ll get the eye-catching curb appeal you love restored with a new roof you can enjoy for years to come. Schedule a free consultation.